Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Veteran's Day and My Family

My mother posted this on her blog yesterday:

Today we celebrate Veteran’s Day. There were speeches and parades and plaudits from politicians. For me, this is holiday is personified by my grandfather, my father, my father-in-law and my brother. Men in my family have served in every war and conflict from the Revolution forward. It is somewhat bittersweet when I think of friends who served and did not return from Vietnam. My reflections today are shared by families all across the country and my memories are theirs.

I have my grandfather’s letters written during his service in WW1. He wrote regularly, first from boot camp and later from Europe. It was strange to see those letters, marked “somewhere in England”. Somehow I always thought that was a bit of fiction until I saw the actual letters. He served honorably and returned home. He never talked much about his service, seeing it as just what an Indiana man would do in that situation.

My father volunteered for the Army following Pearl Harbor and was sent to England after basic training, and then to Europe with the invading forces. He rose through the ranks to Tech Sergeant (Sergeant 1st Class in today’s army) and served in a mechanized battalion, commanding a half-track. (An armored jeep with tracks instead of rear wheels capable of carrying supplies, weaponry, personnel). He took part in the Battle of the Bulge and pushed into Germany with Patton. His platoon was trapped behind enemy lines and considered MIA for a time. He was seriously wounded just before the end of the war and was evacuated to England and then home. He was awarded two Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and numerous citations such as a sharpshooter award. He was always proud to have served his country and was seriously irritated when the Army told him he wasn’t fit to serve in Korea.

My father-in-law served in the SeaBees of the US Navy, their construction division. After the devastation of the Pearl Harbor attack, rebuilding the port facilities was a high priority. Men with peacetime jobs in the construction industry formed construction battalions to rebuild Pearl Harbor and then to build bases, airfields and support the advance through the Pacific. Their motto was “We Build, We Fight”. Dad served in Hawaii and was later assigned as part of the Iwo Jima attack force. The SeaBees arrived on the island hard on the heels of the Marines and immediately began working to repair an airfield. The field began receiving flights just a few days later. Japan surrendered on August 15, 1945 and Dad’s SeaBee battalion was decommissioned and returned to the US just thirty days later. He mustered out in California and returned to St. Paul, MN to his family, his wife and the son who was born after he shipped out.

My brother served in the “peacetime” army in Germany and at Fort Campbell, KY. He considered making the army his career, but decided against it as he had a young son at home and he wanted to be a hands-on father. Various cousins and nephews have also served.

These men all considered it an honor to serve in defense of their country. I grew up hearing the history of the military men in our family, but these I knew well. I honor them every day, and especially today as we celebrate all the veterans who have served with honor. My prayer today and every day is that the men and women currently serving will be protected and come home with honor to their families.

No comments: