Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Crying and Laughing at the Same Time

We have been amazed at the way that Asher has been growing and developing over the last 21 months. He has brought inexpressible joy into my heart. It is truly an honor to be his daddy.

Recently Anne and I have experienced the ups and downs of parenting. Recently we have noticed a growing defiance in Asher. I know that Asher was born in sin just as all human beings are, but I was not prepared for how the reality of Asher's sinful nature would affect me.

A few nights ago he refused to obey his mommy and daddy. Anne told him that if he did not obey that she would give him a spanking. It broke her heart when he continued to disobey. She had to follow through and give Asher his first spanking.

She began to cry as she swatted his little butt grieving the pain it would cause him, but knowing that she must discipline him. She spank him once - he laughed. She spanked him twice - he laughed again. Thrice she spanked him - thrice he laughed.

There was my wife crying because she had to give her little boy his first spanking and he laughs. Obviously the spank did not hurt and he did not understand that he was being punished.

Theologically I affirm the doctrine of total depravity and at times I have grieved the sinful nature of human beings. I grieve my own sinful nature, but seeing it in my sweet little Asher did something to me.

My heart aches for him and I long for him to receive the salvation that is found in Jesus Christ alone. My prayers for him are more intense and my time with him is more gospel focused.

I also look at others with more compassion and I am more motivated than ever before to share the life saving gospel of Jesus Christ with them.

O that my little boy would be saved from his sin. O that those in our community would repent and believe in the gospel.

O that I would be more deeply burdened for those around me who do not know Jesus Christ as LORD and Savior.

Father forgive me for my apathy in sharing the gospel of the kingdom.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

As a parent, I sympathize with your feelings. As your parent, I feel a like I have been there and done that. I probably need to repent of the enjoyment I get out of this story.