Thursday, December 27, 2007

Resolved:

It is that time of year when you look back on the past and look forward to the future. It is a time to reflect back and dream forward. Many resolutions will be made and most will probably be broken before the first month of the year is over.

Real and enduring life transforming resolutions cannot be kept in the power of the flesh. They may only be kept as we abide in Jesus Christ, the true giver and sustainer of life.

Jonathan Edwards is well-known for his Resolutions. He knew that he could not keep his resolutions in his own power. He wrote,

"BEING SENSIBLE THAT I AM UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING WITHOUT GOD' S HELP, I DO HUMBLY ENTREAT HIM BY HIS GRACE TO ENABLE ME TO KEEP THESE RESOLUTIONS, SO FAR AS THEY ARE AGREEABLE TO HIS WILL, FOR CHRIST' S SAKE."

In the wisdom of Jonathan Edwards and the power of the Holy Spirit I resolve to feed my appetite for God alone. May all other my other appetites fall in submission to my hunger for intimacy with the Almighty.

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." ~ Matthew 5:6

No comments: